Skip to main content

the last scan

Many of you are aware that Eric had his (potentially) last scan at Huntsman last week. He has been getting them at least once every six months since his BMT. With this clear scan, we won't have to worry about cancer anymore. For the most part. I don't know if I'll ever not worry about it.

This is an image from one of his very first scans back in 2009. When we left this week we asked to have them for our records. I saw it as a personal history thing, they saw it as planning for future doctors. Yeah, sure, whatever. Just as long as we have the pictures. The lighted up portions of the picture show activity from the cancer. Yeah. Scary?!?!



We are ecstatic to announce that the scan this last week was clean and we will not ever have to do that again, unless he starts getting symptoms. Heaven forbid.

Besides the recent infertility concern, we don't think about this part of our life together very much. It is like a sloshy, groggy, bad dream cloud that hung over us for awhile and we pushed through it just like running in a dream.

The quick pitter in our hearts remains like that first moment you awake from the nightmare, but the clarity of morning reigns. And the gratitude that the nightmare, though real at some point, is no longer real. Just a faded vision of the past.




We love you all. We know how much you all sacrificed for us, and meditated and prayed for us, and I know that you are the reason we are so blessed. Thank you.

Comments

  1. I saw the facebook post about going to the scan and then didn't see any news after that. I may have missed it (we all know i'm not on facebook as much as rosie ;) ) but I was actually worried that I didn't see a follow up with good news. I'm glad I saw this post and was able to get confirmation that everything is as good as it could possibly be. So glad! Rosie and I sincerely love you guys and are ecstatic that the scan was clean and that's behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news!!!! So so happy for you both.
    Also, this was beautiful to read. I love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you guys! So glad for this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I had a baby.

It's a boy. I actually came to blogger to write about something else, but then I realized I haven't announced that I did, in fact, birth my child, and he did, in fact, make it here, which I'm not making light of. It is a fact I repeat to myself often. He is here, we made it. I am his mother and Eric is his father. He is a person and he learns every day. While it is easy to see him for what he is most right now, which is CUTE , he is also mellow and funny and happy, observant and sometimes timid, and sometimes noisy, aware and eager to grow. It is an amazingly wonderful and spiritual thing and I'm grateful every day for my son and the opportunity to raise him each day. I have had too many close to home tragedies recently to take this for granted. My dear neighbor and friend lost her son at 4 years old, an unexplainable accident that took him home to Heavenly Father. Another, my sister's closest friend, lost her son at 39 weeks pregnant, his body born to his famil...

Just a little curious

 Does anyone else go back and read their own blog? Of course you do. It's a journal format. But I wonder if anyone goes and reads anyone else's blog still. I still read my parents' blogs, but even those have been several months. I haven't looked at my sisters' blogs in years, I don't know if I can remember the urls.  I logged in just to see if I could still get access so I'm leaving a little note to the world. It is so strange how the world changes. Personal blogs felt so permanent, but they weren't. They faded, and while it's still here, maybe no one else will ever read this again. Maybe an anthropologist digging through digital history trying to discover what the ancient world was... but doesn't it feel like all of this will be gone? And they'll be trying to learn more through my hairbrush and stanley cup?  But who am I to predict what will last and what will disappear? 

If I could change the world...

I can't be the only one that every time I read that phrase still hears that annoying song from Phenomenon by Eric Clapton. But, with a more sober tone, I am so saddened right now that to look at this topic and not think about mass shootings and police violence, and violence against police, is impossible. I've not been writing this post because I feel like it deserves more time and deep thought than I have been able to muster. But can't you feel it, from everywhere? Everyone is so tired, we are so tired of fighting, so tired of anger, of hate, of injustice, of intolerance. I look around and see most of us do want to get along, we want peace and safety, mercy and if not that at least justice. Every week now there are more, not just one but several killings, shootings, and if not shootings it's a truck, it's a bomb, it's something. Aren't we all just tired? What can we do? I know the solution we have is to be part of the change, be kind, be thoughtful...